Ultimate magazine theme for WordPress.

Family member dies, others hospitalised after cassava meal

0 3


A member of a family of eight in Uvuru, Uzo Uwani Local Government, Enugu State, has died of suspected food poisoning while the others are still hospitalised.

The News Agency of Nigeria learnt that the family of Mr Clement Alumona was thrown into confusion after eating a meal made from cassava flour as they began to vomit blood and began stooling.

Dr. Oji Chimaroke of the Bishop Shanahan Hospital, told NAN that the family was brought in by relatives on Sunday, while one of them, Bridget, 4, died on Monday.

Chimaroke said the other members of the family, except Clement’s wife, Veronica, had come out of intensive care and were now recuperating.

The doctor said Veronica’s case was still serious as of Tuesday afternoon.

Family sources told NAN that Veronica bought dry cassava tubers, which were ground into flour for the preparation of `alibo’, which they consumed.

NAN learnt that each member of the family was transfused with two pints of blood in the hospital.


Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.