Ultimate magazine theme for WordPress.

Italian Coronavirus Patient Threatens To Escape Quarantine

0 109

The Italian Coronavirus patient quarantined at the Infectious Disease Hospital in Yaba, Lagos threatened to escape on Friday over mosquitoes bite and poor surrounding.

The index patient was discovered on Friday 27 February after two days he landed in Nigeria.

He reportedly flew from Milan, Italy into Lagos before heading to Ogun State where he currently works for a company and first showed symptoms of the disease.

Italian Coronavirus Patient Threatens To Escape Quarantine

According to the newspaper, a health worker at the IDH in Yaba as saying that the patient threatened to escape over the poor condition of the facility.

“The patient complained about excessive heat and presence of mosquitoes at the hospital,” the health official reportedly said.

“The patient wanted to run away yesterday (Friday). The Italian man, who seems to be an engineer, was very angry that the room where he was kept was very hot. The only thing demarcating the room from other rooms in the ward is a red and white barricade tape. That is where the Italian man that tested positive to coronavirus is kept.

“There is no single equipment inside that place. It is just like any other regular hospital room with a bed. That building you see that is being repainted is the original place meant to quarantine coronavirus patients.

“As you can see, the place is not ready. The state government is just renovating it, even though the virus started spreading since December 2019. Sadly, a country like Nigeria is never ready to medically contain infectious disease outbreak.”

When approached, a health worker said not to have worn any personal protective equipment required for the nature of the disease being treated, reportedly said: “What is coronavirus? Gloves and face masks cannot do anything. We have been working here for years with people that have deadly diseases. At last, all of us will die.”

It could be recalled that the deputy governor of Lagos, Obafemi Hamzat said on Friday that the facility, with a 100-bed capacity, was well equipped for the containment of the disease.

He also disclosed that the index patient was responding well to treatment.

“The good thing is that he was brought in yesterday morning and within four hours, he had been diagnosed, so our diagnosis tools seem to work better than we expected. Normally, it takes eight hours,” Hamzat had said on a television programme.

“He is in our biosecurity lab in Yaba. It is a lab we built that can accommodate 100 for now, but it is only one bed that is occupied today. Hopefully, it won’t spread further. We are ready, we are well equipped and he is getting better. The doctor said that he is going to be fine.”

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.