Yobe clash death toll hits 25
At least 25 people were killed in a clash between the Joint Task Force and suspected Boko Haram members who robbed a bank and attacked a police station in Yobe State, police said on Friday.
The military had earlier said seven people were killed in the shootout on Thursday.
“Five policemen and 20 gunmen have been confirmed dead and over nine million naira ($56,600) was carted away from a commercial bank,” Reuters quoted Yobe State police commissioner, Sanusi Rufai, as saying in a statement, adding that the loot had been recovered.
The Boko Haram sect and offshoots such as the al Qaeda-linked Ansaru, as well as associated criminal networks, have posed the main threat to the stability of Nigeria since a 2009 amnesty for militants in the oil-producing Niger Delta calmed violence there.
Thursday’s shootout followed a major military assault on a Boko Haram hideout by allied forces from Nigeria, Chad and Niger last week that killed dozens of people and may have been one of the deadliest since the Islamists launched an uprising in 2009.
The Nigerian Red Cross is trying to check reports from locals that 187 people died in that battle. The military said the figure is inflated, but it has barred any access to aid agencies wanting to investigate.