Mubarak faces house arrest when released
Former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak is to be put under house arrest following a court order to release him in a corruption case, officials say.
The prime minister’s office said the measure would be taken “in the context of the emergency law” currently in place across the country.
Mr. Mubarak, 85, is expected to be released from prison later on Thursday.
He still faces charges of complicity in the killing of protesters during the uprising that ousted him in 2011.
He was sentenced to life in jail last year, but a retrial was later ordered after his appeal was upheld.
That retrial opened in May but Mr. Mubarak has now served the maximum amount of pre-trial detention permitted in the case.
The office of Prime Minister Hazem el-Beblawi made its announcement late on Wednesday.
“In the context of the emergency law, the deputy military commander issued an order that Hosni Mubarak should be put under house arrest,” the office said in a statement.
Egypt is under a state of emergency amid the bloodshed which has accompanied the interim government’s crackdown on Islamists opposed to the army’s ousting of Islamist President Mohammed Morsi on July 3.
Hundreds of members of the Muslim Brotherhood – the movement from which Mr. Morsi comes – have been detained including its most senior leader Mohammed Badie, who was wanted over alleged incitement to violence and murder